Tuesday, January 25, 2011

U-Kiss to Debut in America!!


Hi Jihyun here :D
Wow I don't know how I missed epic news like this... school, you are definitely getting in the way of my social kpop life. Lol. U-kiss is confirmed to be debuting in America some time this year. Their US album (complete with choreographed videos) will be finished by February.

This is a total shocker for me and for most of my American kpop friends. First, I got extremely excited. I almost thought I didn't hear it right - so I asked 2 more times just to get it through my head. After it got through the first thing I said was, "Yay Dongho!" Lol. Then it hit me. My friend said she felt the same way until she thought about Kevin and Alexander. As soon as she mentioned their names my heart fell. As much as I love Ukiss, I know that the response from American viewers may be heartbreaking. The "flower boy" or effeminate culture of asian boys is not tolerated here.

As a fan of Ukiss I'm genuinely ecstatic about their debut. I can't wait to see the videos, buy the album, just overall supporting them to the fullest (girls cross your fingers for a concert in the southeast).

On the other side, as a partial-noona fan, I have a protective side that doesn't want Ukiss to face the harshness of American intolerance to differing cultures. I wish they could just stay in Asia and promote well in those countries. Maybe after neutral groups build a strong following of NEW American kpop fans, then bands like Ukiss can also debut. I know that might sound selfish, but that's purely the protective side of me speaking out.

The American entertainment industry is extremely one-sided, not letting many outside industries get a foot in the door. Yes, we have musical "influence" but we don't tolerate much diversity (unless it's the Caribbean or England).

To capture a wide audience and build a strong fanbase for kpop bands like Big Bang - OneWay - 2NE1 - 4minute should debut first. Fashion, dance, technology, sexy, hip-hop... these are the the categories that will draw attention and these groups have it. They also have the vocals, the hype, and the power that's needed to back up the flashy exterior.

This paves the way for groups like Super Junior - MBLAQ - Wonder Girls - T-ara. They are the eye candy with catchy tunes to build bias idol group fans. These fans build quickly and will ultimately force a permanent opening for kpop in America.

Lastly groups like Ukiss - f(x) - Girl's Day are open to flood in with their ageyo to capture the younger audience as well as those oldie/and newbie dedicated kpop fans.

I know the road isn't easy to debut in another country so we all should give Ukiss our full support and our love. I hope only the best for the boys and wish for their domination of the American charts. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment